Farmingdale-Bethpage

Historical Society

 

 

 

HOME   |    THE PURCHASE   |   STATE PARK   |   LIRR   |   COLLEGE   |  AIRCRAFT INDUSTRY   |   THEN & NOW

ABOUT US   |   HISTORICAL VIGNETTES   |   QUAKER MEETING HOUSE   |   THE YEOMAN

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Now...

Each of the "right side" photographs depict the current conditions at each of the locations photographed in the images on the left side.  A few years can make an amazing difference!

 

 

Farmingdale History0053.jpg (1773282 bytes) Farmingdale Auto Collision.JPG (889212 bytes)

FIRST POWELL HOUSE, (c. 1905) looking northwest, Conklin Street, west of Merritts Road.

Thomas Powell, the first European settler in what is now the Farmingdale-Bethpage area, arrived in 1687. Within the first few years, he and his family constructed a home on what is now Hempstead Turnpike. The structure endured until 1931, known in later years as the Lawrence homestead.

 

then&now0005.jpg (1686370 bytes) Lotus Garden Restaurant.JPG (878984 bytes)

PARAMOUNT DINER, (c. 1930s), NE corner, Conklin and Washington Streets.

Ever since the Hook, Ladder and Hose Company of the Farmingdale Fire Department vacated their old building in early 1932 to move into the present Village Hall/Firehouse, the location has been the site of a restaurant. The Paramount Diner(shown)  later became the Lido Diner, and now is the Lotus Garden.
Farmingdale History0013.jpg (8537601 bytes) LIRR.JPG (918179 bytes)

FARMINGDALE LIRR STATION, (c. 1905), looking northwest.

This was the appearance of the building from its construction in 1896 until 1909, when the two-story tower was added onto the west side to house electrical equipment necessary to power the Cross-Island Trolley Line.
then&now0008.jpg (3107978 bytes) P1050142.JPG (906328 bytes)

ST. KILIAN SCHOOL, 1926-1997, looking northwest, northeast corner of Conklin and Elizabeth Streets.

In 1926 St. Kilian RC Church established a parochial school serving grades 1-8.  . The 1926 school was largely replaced by a new school on Cherry Street, which opened in 1963.  It was razed in 1997, and the site now serves as a church parking field. The 1963 school has been LaSalle Regional School since 1992.
Farmingdale History0036a.jpg (1147802 bytes) Cherry Street home.JPG (890042 bytes)

BAUSCH PICTURE FRAME COMPANY looking east-northeast, Rose and Richard Streets.

In the 1880s Robert Bausch established a picture frame and molding firm where Richard and Rose Streets now intersect, employing his seven sons among other workers.   In 1914 Lawrence Sperry, the aviator, moved into the former Bausch factory with his Lawrence Sperry Aircraft Company, the area’s first aviation firm.
Otten Bros0001.jpg (78856 bytes) Weichert Realty.JPG (990895 bytes)

OTTEN BROTHERS BICYCLE SHOP, (c. 1907), south side of Conklin Street, just east of Main Street.

The Otten brothers opened a bicycle shop early in the twentieth century. When motorcycles and automobiles became more common, the brothers began servicing them also, becoming Farmingdale's first auto repair facility. By 1911 three Farmingdale businesses were advertising auto repairs. The site is now occupied by Weichert Realtors/Dallow Agency.
then&now3.jpg (4314749 bytes) Sperry Credit Union.JPG (909693 bytes)

521 CONKLIN STREET (1955-1980) Conklin Street, west of Secatogue Avenue, looking north.

About 1928 the New York Telephone Company built this building to house equipment and staff serving the Farmingdale area. Administrative offices of the Farmingdale Public Schools occupied this building from1955 to 1979, followed by the Bi-County Postal Workers Federal Credit Union which was merged into the Sperry credit union in 2007.
MAIN STREET NEAR VILLAGE HALL:  c.1912,
Tracks of Cross-Island Trolley Line which operated between Halesite and Amityville, 1909 to 1919, are visible .At right, to right of wagon and largely obscured by foliage, is the original Village Hall of Farmingdale, a small frame structure which was razed in 1931 to allow for construction of the present Village Hall/ Fire House.
MAIN STREET JUST NORTH OF GRANT AVENUE
Main Street School as it appeared from 1930 to 1960. South wing (far left) was built in 1912, and razed in 1960. Middle wing was built in 1922 and North wing (foreground)  was built 1928-1930, Both of these were demolished in 1980.
 
HEISELMANN OPERA HOUSE: Main Street, just south of Richard Street, c. 1912,
The "opera house", built in 1909, served  as a community auditorium until 1915. It then became a woodworking shop, but was destroyed by fire in 1923. The "opera house"  was the scene of locally produced shows, touring  vaudeville programs, and stock performances, but apparently never an opera.
294-296 MAIN STREET:  Main Street south of Conklin Street, mid-block,c. 1920s,
The three-story building housed DeMarco's Department Store, specializing in  clothing and housewares.
Historic Photos0002.jpg (580850 bytes) Bank1.JPG (942304 bytes)

ORIGINAL BANK OF FARMINGDALE, c1912  "Main St and Conklin St. Looking North". The brick Bank of Farmingdale stood at NW corner of Main and Conklin 1912-1930. Immediately adjacent north of it is Brown's Hotel.

Historic Photos0003.jpg (607765 bytes) Post Office2.JPG (962440 bytes)

MAIN STREET SHOWING POST OFFICE, c1912 - Post Office at that time was located in storefront at right, near present day Clock Plaza, looking north toward LIRR crossing.Original Methodist Church (1843-1926) with steeple  can be seen on left.

Historic Photos0004.jpg (359773 bytes) Durea5.JPG (979463 bytes)

DURYEA STORE General store of John Duryea, c1880's Location is Main Street at North Front Street, NW corner, looking NW, at the LIRR crossing.Station  was at this location until 1896 when present station was completed.

Merritts Road near Conklin Looking North - 2008.JPG (2423240 bytes) Merritts Road near Conklin Looking North - 2008

 

naztradeschool.jpg (72380 bytes) Original site of Nazareth Trade School.JPG (2306005 bytes) Original site of Nazareth Trade School. Currently, it is Howitt Middle School's athletic field.  View is  southeast from Conklin and Cherry streets
Historic Photos0053.jpg (1139784 bytes) Homes Replace Pickle Works.JPG (2522590 bytes) Homes replace Stern's Pickle Works

 

 

 

Click to return to "THEN" page

 

 

 

© 2009 Farmingdale-Bethpage Historical Society - All Rights Reserved